The Autism Navigation Service
This service has been designed for adults across Essex who are seeking an assessment of Autism Spectrum Disorder.
It provides support for adults at each stage of the diagnostic pathway, before your assessment, at your assessment if needed, and once you have received the outcome. Our advocates can work with you to support your inclusion in the process, and in the longer term support you to access services that may help you to lead the life you choose.
We will work with you to help you get your voice heard, obtain your rights and the services you may need. This may be connecting you to appropriate community and social opportunities and working with you to resolve any difficulties and challenges you may be experiencing in your day to day life.
An Advocate will…
- Listen to you.
- Ensure you are receiving the same opportunities as non-autistic people. This includes employment, health services or education.
- Help you to improve key relationships through a better understanding of Autism.
- Look at issues with you realistically, providing non judgemental support.
- Help you access information which will support you to make your own decisions.
- Support you to look at any entitlements you may be eligible to receive.
- Make challenges on your behalf if you feel you have been unfairly treated.
Advocacy in Action
Our Advocates can discuss your issues and concerns, helping you to identify and explore your choices.
We can provide information on your legal rights, the services available to you and how you can access them, for example you may be entitled to extra support at work due to a disability under the Equalities Act 2010. We can support you to access specialist help, such as Solicitors or Benefits Advisors.
We can support you to plan for meetings, draft correspondence and raise the issues you want to. We can accompany you to meetings that concern your rights and entitlements:
- In the workplace to talk to your employers
- Medical appointments
- Benefits advisors
- Social Care Assessments
SUMMIT will work in partnership with you and engage using your preferred method of contact